Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 19:47:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alan Chan <alanux@excite.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Network Troubleshooting (ipf.rules and ipnat.rules)

Hi all,

I've spent countless hours troubleshooting my network, but couldn't get to
work so I'm asking for any help I can get.  I have a small network setup and
I'm using ipnat.rules and ipf.rules (from OpenBSD) for ip filtering on my
FreeBSD gateway/firewall machine.  Here's the sittuation:
I have two network cards installed on my firewall machine; of the two cards,
one entails an external ip address (dco has a cable modem static ip address
given by ATHOME) and the other entails a private ip address (dc1:
192.168.1.1).

On a separate machine is my DNS server, which includes one network card with
a private IP address (192.168.1.2).

I have eight computers connected on a 3Com switch.

So here's the question:
What are some of the commands/things that I (can) need to use to
troubleshoot my network?  I've used the following the files to config:

/etc/rc.conf
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/hosts

Here is what I did to set up my network:
(1) /stand/sysinstall => index => interfaces => no for multi-user => no dhcp
=> dc0 => dc1
(2) add primary and secondary addresses to resolv.conf file
(3) edit the "/etc/hosts" file

For my gateway/firewall server, I used "ifconfig -a" and it showed that all
network devices have the correct ip address.  However, when i used "netstat
-rn", 192.168.1.1 has a "netif" of lo0, while 192.168.1.2 has a "netif" of
dc1?  I was expecting 192.168.1.1 to have dc1...

I can ping from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.1 and vice-versa (also work when
pinging with any address on the network).  However, I can't ping to the
outside world (i.e. cnet.com or yahoo.com).  I've checked my
"etc/resolv.conf" file and it contains the correct dns address.

I am thinking that there has to be a problem with my ipnat.rules or
ipf.rules, but not really sure.

Anyway, i'm having trouble connecting back to the Internet.  I appreciate
any feedback or insights anyone can give.  Sorry if I did not do a good job
explaining my problem.