Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:46:10 +0200
From:      Momchil Ivanov <slogster@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        zigniew szalbot <zbigniew@szalbot.homeunix.com>, Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Subject:   Re: freebsd / gateway / parental control

--nextPart2334682.u2GGgg7SGl

On Friday 29 June 2007 09:13:09 zigniew szalbot wrote:

> > If you use the wireless in the DSL modem, you'll be bypassing the BSD
> > server.
>
> Just one question here. If I plug the router to the lan NIC and configure
> it to take DHCP and DNS settings from the BSD box, then the wireless will
> not bypass the BSD machine, will it?

You can do it in the following ways:

1) Box with one NIC
	- connect the box to your home network
	- disable DSL router`s DHCP for your home network
	- start dhcpd on the box giving ip addresses to your home clients and tell=
ing=20
them that the box itself is the gateway, run squid or whatever you want to=
=20
capture your clients' traffic and filter them, then the box users the DSL=20
router for gateway
	- disadvantages: if your kids are smart they will just change their gatewa=
y=20
so that it`s not the box, but the DSL router and override your filtering

2) Same as above, but say DSL`s home ip is 10.51.87.1 you give the box=20
10.51.87.2, then give the box another ip (alias) 10.37.6.1 and tell the dhc=
pd=20
on the box to give ip adresses from the 10.37.6.0/24 network to the client.=
=20
The idea is to use 2 networks, one box <-> clients, the other for dsl route=
r=20
<-> box
	- disadvantages: again if your kids are smart they`ll just set themselves=
=20
some static ip from the dsl router`s network and browse. They just have to=
=20
figure out router`s ip and network :) as in the above case

3) Box with 2 NICs and wireless NIC
	- disable dsl router`s wireless NIC
	- connect dsl router to NIC1 on the box
	- connect NIC2 to home net
	- setup the box wireless as Access Point
	- bridge NIC2 and the wireless NIC on the box
	- run your filter

4) Forget about the DSL router. Box with wireless NIC, 1 NIC for home net, =
1=20
NIC for the DSL
	- same as above, just have to tell your box how to connect to your ISP

=2D-=20
This correspondence is strictly confidential. Any screening, filtering
and/or production for the purpose of public or otherwise disclosure is
forbidden without written permission by the author signed above. If you are
not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender and
permanently delete any copies

PGP KeyID: 0x3118168B
Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint BB50 2983 0714 36DC D02E =A0158A E03D 56DA 3118 168B
 =20