Date:      Thu, 07 Oct 1999 22:03:33 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Edmund D. Haube" <w3lng@ibm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on second master disk

On Thu, 07 Oct 1999 18:23:54 GMT, "Edmund D. Haube" wrote:

> I have loaded FreeBSD on a second master hard disk in this machine.
> No problem.  Tried to load it and got the message 'panic: unable to
> load /root'.  Found solution to problem inTROUBLE. TXT and proceeded
> to use 'Fixit' as suggested.

Looks like TROUBLE.TXT is outdated. That advice is for the old boot
loader. :-(

Try this:

	set num_ide_disks=2
	set rootdev=wd2s1a
	boot

This stuff is documented in the loader(8) manpage if you have access to
it.

Ciao,
Sheldon.

PS: I've only had this once myself, so my instructions may not be 100%.
    You might need to fiddle. :-)