Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:59:54 +0000
From:      Harlan Stenn <stenn@ntp.isc.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        stenn@ntp.isc.org
Subject:   ldconfig: /usr/X11R6/lib is group writable

I recently installed FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE on a machine, along with xorg
and gnome2.

When the machine boots up and runs /etc/rc.d/ldconfig it generates a
message about how it is ignoring /usr/X11R6/lib because it is
group-writable.

This means that xdm gives me a login screen but I cannot log in there as
libSM.so.6 cannot be found (it's in /usr/X11R6/lib).

While I can "fix" the group perms manually, as soon as I run portupgrade
the mtree stuff puts the perms back to 775 on /usr/X11R6/lib.

What's the best way to address this problem?

Please leave me on the Cc: line as I'm probably not currently subscribed
to questions@.