Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 23:25:51 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Vladimir Kushnir <kushn@mail.kar.net>
To:        jm7996@devrycols.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /kernel.config

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, James A. Mutter wrote:

> I've been all over the Handbook and the FAQ.  I can't find an answer to
> this one.
>
> I've got a PnP sound card that is _not_ automatically recognized by the
> kernel.  After installing a new kernel I have to manually reenter the
> parameters for the card.  I could have sworn that I saw somewhere that the
> /kernel.config file could 'do this for me' - so to speak.
>
> Here's what I've got:
>
> jmutter@insomnia$ cat kernel.config
> USERCONFIG
> pnp 0 1 os enable port0 0x220 port1 0x330 port2 0x388 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq 1
     ~~~~
This seems to be your problem. As far as I remember, pnp CSN start from
1 and pnp LDN - from 0, so it should be pnp 1 0
> 5
> pnp 1 2 os enable port0 0x620 port1 0xa20 port2 0xe20
     ~~~~
and this - pnp 1 1 (if this is 1 1 indeed). Besides, again if I remember
correctly, you should clarify all of the pnp logical devices your card
has.
As an example, here's my /kernel.config (for Yamaha OPL-SA2 card):

USERCONFIG
pnp 1 0 os enable irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 3
pnp 1 0 port0 0x220 port1 0x530 port2 0x388 port3 0x330 port4 0x370
pnp 1 1 os enable port0 0x201
pnp 1 2 os enable port0 0x800
pnp 1 3 os enable irq0 10 port0 0x1e0 port1 0x3e6
quit

Works perfectly all right.
> quit
>
> --
>
> Pardon the horrible formatting, pine isn't the best mailer out there.  :)
>
> Anyhow, I've tried several variations of that and nothing seems to work.
> Could someone help me out here?  Doing this manually is OK, but I'd really
> like to get away from it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Hope this helps,