Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2018 22:23:57 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Subject:   Re: gpart trouble

On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 09:23:43PM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > I want to add some swap partitions to the June 28th RPI3 snapshot image on microSD.
> > Growfs was suppressed, so the card has 12 GB of free space:
> >
> > Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
> > Cannot read termcap database;
> > using dumb terminal settings.
> > # mount -o rw /
> > # gpart show mmcsd0
> > =>      63  31116225  mmcsd0  MBR  (15G)
>                                ^^^^^
> >         63      2016          - free -  (1.0M)
> >       2079    102312       1  fat32lba  [active]  (50M)
> >     104391   5138469       2  freebsd  (2.5G)
> >    5242860  25873428          - free -  (12G)
> >
> > # gpart add -t freebsd-swap -s 1G mmcsd0
> > gpart: Invalid argument
> > # gpart add -t freebsd-swap -s 1G /dev/mmcsd0
> > gpart: Invalid argument
> > # gpart add -t freebsd-swap -s 1GB -l swap mmcsd0
> > gpart: Invalid argument
> > #
>
> I do not believe MBR supports "freebsd-swp" as a
> partition type, we only have 0x165 as a FreeBSD
> type.
>
> I think you want to create a freebsd type at slice 3,
> and inside that you want to create a freebsd-swp.

Maybe that's what I did, I remember the frustration, but not the details 8-)

> I am no good with gpart, but fdisk and bsdlabel can do this.

Oddly enough, neither seems to be installed, though both are present in /usr/src/sbin.
Both compiled and installed manually without reported errors. Neither seems able to
read the boot microSD card, reporting "invalid fdisk partition table found"
and "no valid label found" for bsdlabel.

If anybody's got ideas I'm all ears. Might it be helpful to put the card in a
USB reader and modify it when it's not booted? I don't remember doing that, but
could have.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska