Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 03:35:36 +0200
From:      "Wolfram Kraushaar" <wk@xtweb.de>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   PAM configuration for Guest FTP?

Hello,

I set up Guest FTP-Accounts with proftpd 1.2.2rc1 on my FreeBSD
4.2-Stable Server. So i created new users, with home-dir /nonexistent
and shell /sbin/nologin, because I don't want them to be able to login
on a shell.

Then I set up proftpd for these users, chrooting them (with Anonymous
Directive) to the directory they should have access to...

I modified /etc/pam.conf in the way the proftpd "make install"
suggested:

ftp 	auth    required    	pam_unix.so			try_first_pass
ftp 	account required    	pam_unix.so			try_first_pass
ftp 	session required    	pam_permit.so

so far, everything works fine and they can login via ftp, get chrooted
and can exactly do what I want them to be able to do.

The only thing that bothers me, are the following messages (in the system
log)
every time one of these users logs in:

Mar 31 02:02:39 <servername> proftpd[29077]: _secure_path: cannot stat
/nonexistent/.login_conf: Operation not supported

I understand, that a non-existant file cannot be stated, but how can I
disable those messages?
Must there be an existing home directory for any non-anonymous ftp user?
Can't believe this...
I already posted this to the proftpd mailing list and got the answer,
that proftpd doesn't require a ~/.login_conf and that this question
may be pam-config related...

Any advice?

thx,

Wolfram