Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:48:37 -0700
From:      "Evan Dower" <evantd@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Printer Device Busy

I am trying to install a printer (Epson Stylus Color 740), but FreeBSD
claims that the device (/dev/lpt0) is busy. I began with 4.6-RELEASE but
upgrade to -STABLE to see if that would fix the problem (it didn't). My
system is:
$ uname -a
FreeBSD lojak.u.washington.edu 4.7-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-PRERELEASE #0: Thu
Sep 12 00:21:06 PDT 2002
root@lojak.u.washington.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM  i386
I even tried using the GENERIC kernel to no avail. I'm fairly certain my
kernel is set up properly anyway since the printer is detected at startup.
$ dmesg
ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: SMC-like chipset (ECP/EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/9 bytes threshold
ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE
Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
ppbus0: <EPSON Stylus COLOR 740> PRINTER ESCPL2,BDC,D4
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
Yet still, if I try to do a test print, nothing happens.
# echo test > /dev/lpt0
/dev/lpt0: Device busy.
In fact, even just trying to get status info does the same thing.
# cat /dev/lpt0
cat: /dev/lpt0: Device busy
So the device is busy. Certainly, a program must be bogarting it. Yet fstat
begs to differ.
$ fstat /dev/lpt0
USER     CMD          PID   FD MOUNT      INUM MODE         SZ|DV R/W NAME
That's an empty list of open files named /dev/lpt0. So maybe fstat is not
working as I would expect. So I'll stat /dev/lpt0 to get its INODE and grep
fstat for it.
$ stat /dev/lpt0
  File: "/dev/lpt0"
  Size: 0	Allocated Blocks: 0	Filetype: Character Device
  Mode: (0600/crw-------)	Uid: (0/root) Gid: (0/wheel)
Device: 160768	Inode: 753	Links: 1	Device Type: 4096
Access: Thu Sep 12 01:01:20 2002
Modify: Thu Sep 12 10:44:59 2002
Change: Thu Sep 12 10:44:59 2002

$ fstat | grep 753
I swear fstat really does list open files!
$ fstat | wc
     557    5040   38580
$ fstat /dev/dsp
USER     CMD          PID   FD MOUNT      INUM MODE         SZ|DV R/W NAME
evantd   esd        32539    8 /           738 crw-rw-rw-  dsp0.0  w
/dev/dsp
$ fstat | grep 738
evantd   esd        32539    8 /           738 crw-rw-rw-  dsp0.0  w
So fstat does work (both ways), but I still see no reason for lpt0 to be
busy.
Does anyone have any ideas? What else can make a device busy?
Thanks in advance,
Evan Dower