Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:25:22 -0400
From:      "rogeriocordeiro" <rogeriocordeiro@yahoo.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   mac os X

Hello!

I am new to FreeBSD and I have some questions regard the licensing.

My question is regarding using FreeBSD for profit?

Ex.  Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD 5.X.

Is this allowed or not and if so what are the requirements.

I have read the public license and I would have to say with all the legal
running around, portions of its intent can seem a bit lost to me.  I would
need to wait for my head to stop spinning.

Instead of me explaining my interpretation could I get two or three examples
of what is and is not allowed under the license?

Party A downloads FreeBSD for commercial purposes and for profit no code
modification.

Party A downloads FreeBSD for profit to make own platform like Mac os X.

(I am not picking on Mac, I am glad they are aboard. Just not sure how all
that works. I would also like to include how this applies to embedded
systems such as network appliances.)

Party B uses code from FreeBSD written by Party A for profit and non-profit.

Forgive me if my questions seem non-sequitur like I said I am new to all
this and may not have the correct questions.

As I am new to the industry I have a great deal of questions and not sure
where to start.

I would eventually like to sell my services and solutions to potential
customers using FreeBSD.

I figure if it is okay for Linux, we should be able to do the same for
FreeBSD?

If I am wrong, please explain if possible.

If possible it would be great if the answers could be expanded to the code
not just the compiled binaries.

It may help the rest of us new to FreeBSD if these examples were on your
site.

Just a suggestion

P.S.

Once I am up to speed I would like to become a contributor at some level.

Are there any guide lines to follow, and are they covered in the developer's
handbook I downloaded?

Is the Darwin project part of the FreeBSD group such as FreeBSD for PPC or
is now a separate entity?

Can the code from Darwin be used back in FreeBSD?