Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 2005 09:41:44 +0100
From:      cpghost <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Missing MIDI Framework (was Re: Freebsd Theme Song)

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 09:32:59AM -0800, Loren M. Lang wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 02:14:34AM +0100, cpghost wrote:

> > > So far I'm finding 6.x a heck of a lot better than 5.x. The mousewheel
> > > just works, a lot more of the ports just work, sound works ... you still
> > >  have to fiddle with /boot/loader.conf to get the sound to go, which is
> > > completely braindead, but I'm sure it'll be up to the standard of Linux
> > > distros 2001.
> >
> > Ahemm, speaking of sound... how about a, *cough*, working MIDI sequencer?
> > Any way to attach a MIDI device to 5.x or 6.x _and_ being able to record
> > from it? Anything workable yet? No? Am I missing something crucial here?
>
> How about Timidity?  What would be nice, though, is for timidity to show
> up as a hardware device.

AFAIK, Timitidy is just a software MIDI player (MIDI -> wav converter).
This is just one part of the the game. What I'm looking for is a way to
record from MIDI devices (keyboards etc...), and this is not supported
by Timidity.

The sad thing about this is that we used to have a (sort of) working MIDI
implementation in the past. :-( Dual-booting into gentoo/linux for this
is not really a problem; but ain't there any brave soul who could fix
MIDI for FreeBSD?

Regards,
-cpghost.

--