Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2017 17:39:26 -0400
From:      Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD did it again (still)

On 7/5/2017 5:30 PM, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
> On 2017-07-06 03:21, Baho Utot wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Not sure what you are aiming at here but - just felt I had to comment.
>>> You are probably right that there must be cohersion between packages
>>> and system when using prebuilt binaries.
>>>
>>> My way of doing it is the opposite, everything is compiled from
>>> source, the classic *nix way. This way, FreeBSD has never let me down.
>>>
>>> I think the best approach if you have an older system where it takes
>>> ages to compile, you really need to follow a strict path using
>>> packages. On a more recent system, nothing beats source builds.
>>>
>>> There has been a lot of discussion over this matter recently, please
>>> understand that this is not RedHat or Ubuntu, the resources needed
>>> to keep up with building binaries are limited in comparison. If you
>>> need prebuilt packages, please just contribute to the work.
>>>
>>> Just my SEK 0.2
>>>
>>> //per
>>
>> I built the ports from svn source using synth I did not use prebuilt
>> binaries.  I did do it the classic *nix way.
>
> That was odd. But if you provide more detailed info I'm sure there is
> help on the list.
>
> I only use portmaster due to its ease of use, have no experience from
> synth.
>
> //per

What is ODD is that I have not received my original post that started
this thread, from the mailing list.  It has not come thru the FreeBSD
mailing list.   I wanted to have a look at the headers. I checked the
timestamps on my client box was/is correct ( running ntp ) my mail
server is correct ( running ntp ).

I am investigating why  the upgrade to the laptop has failed.   This
happens every time I upgrade if the upgrade cycle is 6 months to a
year.  I simply don't have the time to go thru this every time I do an
upgrade.  It should just work ( I know some edge case may not that is
not what I am talking about ).  One should be able to update a machine (
desktop ) and it should still function.  If I am crashing a package or
two that is fine, the whole desktop should not go from usable to
crashing/puking/barfing.