Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 10:21:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        dirkx@webweaving.org (Dirk-Willem van Gulik)
Cc:        eugen@svzserv.kemerovo.su, famzon@bigfoot.com, small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Writable CD's

> What I've found to work well as a 'quick' hack is to simply make an UFS
> inside a file with newfs/vnconfig and burn that onto a CD - and threat is
> as a diskless machine. That feels very much like a normal file system and
> you need to change little.

this seems to be different from what was requested in the original
email, which seems to be "how to use a CDRW as a read/write writable
filesystem".

In any case, i tried the UFS-over-CD trick (actually something more
trivial, such as burning an umounted filesystem onto a CD. Small
disks at the time...) some time ago with different success. On some
version of FreeBSD (2.2.x i seem to remember) it did work, whereas
3.x with the same image would quickly panic during or after mounting
the filesystem, even if mounted readonly.  The problem was, i
thought, the OS not being too happy for being unable to write
something onto the disk.

Has the situation changed ?

	cheers
	luigi