Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:38:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Sam Xie <sam@samxie.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: memory leak?

Well, I know for sure that netscape leaks memory, but not that much, for
most purposes though, the "inactive" memory is free for use by other
programs, it's just being kept as inactive because some program stored in
that memory that has exited might be run again, and it's faster to run
from inactive memory than disk if it hasn't been used for anything else...
I think my explanation is WAY simplified, but I think I got it basically
right.

| Kenneth Culver              | FreeBSD: The best NT upgrade    |
| Unix Systems Administrator  | ICQ #: 24767726                 |
| and student at The          | AIM: muythaibxr                 |
| The University of Maryland, | Website: (Under Construction)   |
| College Park.	              | http://www.wam.umd.edu/~culverk/|