Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:54:11 -0500
From:      Victor <strat-man@comcast.net>
To:        listbunny@metalbunny.net
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD have problems with SCSI CD-drives ??

>         Probably should've said that I have no problems booting from
>         all other
>         bootCDs I've tried... even windows manages to do it (which in
>         itself is
>         amazing since it dislikes SCSI greatly). I never had any
>         problems with
>         Linux, FreeBSD on the other hand seems to be a bit more
>         nitpicking...
>         which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just annoying when
>         you can't
>         install it easily.
>

>         Rene
>
>         Derek Ragona wrote:
>         > I believe it is more incompatibilities with older BIOS and
>         SCSI BIOS,
>         > etc.  I have an older MB that won't boot the SCSI CD.  This
>         is really
>         > problematic as the system will boot the floppies, but cannot
>         after
>         > booting, find the boot device.  I have to mount the cd and
>         update from
>         > the mounted cd.  Once I have the system loaded on the hard
>         drive it is
>         > fine.
>         >
>         > I know this is of no help, just letting you know you are not
>         alone.
>         >
>         >         -Derek
>         >
>         >
>         > At 02:01 PM 2/28/2006, Rene Brehmer wrote:
>         >> I've got SCSI Plextor CD-drives in my computer (AMD Athlon
>         XP-based),
>         >> and ATA harddrives. When I try to install FreeBSD 6.0
>         booting from
>         >> the CDs, it stops with "Error, unable to load kernel". I
>         tried first
>         >> with 6.0, then with 5.4. Interestingly the 5.4 installer
>         says "Unable
>         >> to load matching kernel".
>         >>
>         >> I then made the install floppies, and used those to boot
>         from, and
>         >> then it installed without a problem. Although the disk
>         slicer did
>         >> make a few errors in the partition table, which I had to
>         fix to get
>         >> Windows to work properly (did a dual-boot install).
>         >>
>         >> Just wondering: Does FreeBSD have an issue with SCSI CD-ROM
>         drives,
>         >> or is it just the install bootup??? Need some documentation
>         before I
>         >> can actually use it for anything, but atleast now I've
>         figured out
>         >> how to get it on my harddrive...
>         >>
>         >>
>         >> Rene

In my case, I have one SCSI drive and one ATAPI/IDE. I have to boot the
FreeBSD install CD from the SCSI drive, won't work and fails the same
way using the ATAPI/IDE drive. I think in my case it's because the SCSI
drive is the Secondary Master (in BIOS) and the ATAPI/IDE drive is
Secondary Slave. That might be something to check, as I'm sure FreeBSD
*will* boot from an SCSI CDROM.

HTH, Good Luck!

Victor