Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 1999 01:19:06 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <marc@netcologne.de>
To:        scrappy@hub.org
Cc:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Something to show off...?

> I'm running a PII-266 as CPU, 128Meg of RAM and a Creative Graphics
> Blaster RivaTNT video card with 16Meg of RAM on it...does that count? :)
> Actually, with that, I was impressed with how responsive Blender was, but
> I'm curious as to how much of that is the CPU vs the video card, so will
> be downgrading the video card later this evening to see ...

I am not sure (forgive me, if I am wrong - was absent a while) if you
guys do realize that the RIVA chip's 3-D features are not used at all
under FreeBSD.

RIVA TNT/128/128ZX based cards are fast 2-D cards and yes, they are processing
data faster than a lot of CPUs (these chips are the complexity of Pentium IIs),
so you usually see benefits when using a faster CPU.

The RAM becomes important when you use high resolutions (above 800x600), this
is an area where the RIVA cards usually outperformed the Voodoos, showing
no drastic slow down.

For general RIVA stuff look here:

    http://www.rivazone.com

You mention Creative Labs too. I read news lately, that they hired one of
GGI (General Graphics Interface) guys to create and release drivers for
their sound cards for Linux.

This stuff will be in binary form only, but he seems to be willing
to do *BSD ones too .. and he will work on graphics drivers too.

Links:

   http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=linux-ggi&m=91750053603759&w=2
   http://www.ggi-project.org

Regards,