Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:28:24 -0700
From:      hal Lynch <hal@sticky.usu.edu>
To:        FreeBSDQuestions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Jaz drives, booting from one?

>I am thinking about completely reconfiguring my system. I am considering
>purchasing an internal SCSI Jaz drive and modifying my system so the Jaz
>drive becomes my boot drive. It is then my hope to be able to change
>operating systems by changing Jaz disks.
>
>My questions are:
>FreeBSD supposedly supports Jaz drives, does anyone have experience with
>them? If so, how easy are the SCSI ones to get working with FreeBSD?
>
>Can you boot FreeBSD from a Jaz drive? (according to Iomega you can boot
>NT from a Jaz drive...)
>
>Does anyone see any major flaws with this concept?
>
>My thanks,
>Dave Ason

Changing operating systems by changing disks is a great idea.  Much better
than multiple systems on one disk.

I have a bootable jaz disk I keep for emergencies.  It was never needed
and is now obsolete.  But it did work.

Potential flaws are the speed and possible fragility of jaz drives/disks.

A better solution IMHO is a canister mounted hard drive.  The carrier
and canisters are not too expensive.  Drives are not bad either.
It takes about 10 seconds to change canisters.  I have a machine with
one carrier and both FreeBSD and Linux canisters.  Works just fine.

The carrier mounts internally and is the same size as a cdrom drive.

hal