Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 21:07:57 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        "K. Gunderson" <kgun@iacan.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proper cvsup base dir?

On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 02:00:39PM -0600, K. Gunderson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 08:41:51PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 12:04:23PM -0600, K. Gunderson wrote:
> > > Greetings:
> > >
> > > I've never run cvsup before and looking at the docs and handbook I see a
> > > difference in the base dir used.  cvsup defauts to /usr/local/etc/cvsup, yet
> > > the example files come configured to use /usr.  It seems like the former
> > > would be the more "proper" location but the folks who provided the
> > > example files know a lot more about it than me. Now obviously
> > > this is not mission critical, but I'm curious about it and would
> > > appreciate it if somebody could enlighten me.
> > >

> > FreeBSD uses /usr, /usr/doc, /usr/src, /usr/ports.
> >
> > See http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/faq.html for
> > lots of useful info on using cvsup from the guy who wrote it.
>
> I've read this before I posted;) The prefix dir is where the /usr/src,
> /usr/ports, etc. go. No confusion there.  My question pertained to the
> base dir, which affects where the checkout files go. My confusion about
> this arises out of inconsistencies between the FAQ, example files, and
> the Handbook.

I've just started using cvsup so it's still fairly fresh in my
mind. My checkouts are in /usr/sup/{doc-all,src-all,ports-all} (and
my global refuse file is in /usr/sup).

The supfiles I use, from /usr/share/examples/cvsup, are:

	*default host=cvsup.uk.FreeBSD.org
	*default base=/usr
	*default prefix=/usr
	*default release=cvs tag=.
	*default delete use-rel-suffix

	*default compress

	src-all

HTH

--
STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.