Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:27:32 +0930
From:      Matthew Thyer <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Default ELF binary type of Linux if unknown ?

Instead of having to brandelf when I update Linux programs with
new versions, can we have a sysctl that sets the default ELF binary
type when it is unknown ?

For example, for the Hewlett Packard OpenView OmniBack disk agent
(that works fine backing up FreeBSD as long as you dont backup
paths that are redirected into the /compat/linux tree) can be
automatically updated from the server, however when a new version
is pushed out all my backups fail due to the branding issue:

{1} file omni/bin/inet
omni/bin/inet: setuid setgid ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped
{2} omni/bin/inet
ELF binary type "0" not known.
Abort
{3} brandelf -t Linux omni/bin/inet
{4} omni/bin/inet
HP OpenView OmniBack II A.03.50: INET, internal build PHSS_22434/PHSS_22435, built on Fri Nov 10 23:01:36 2000

I know there are people who would not want this on by default so
an /etc/rc.conf entry that defaults to "UNKNOWN" would be fine
e.g.

DEFAULT_ELF_TYPE="SYSV|LINUX|UNKNOWN"

(maybe the values should be the type number instead of text)

This feature would make Linux image activation so much more useful.

I have not thought about the issues for Alpha, PowerPC etc.

--
 Matthew Thyer                                 Phone:  +61 8 8259 7249
 Science Corporate Information Systems         Fax:    +61 8 8259 5537

 IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence
 Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the
 CRIMES ACT 1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are
 requested to contact the sender and delete the email.