Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2018 07:11:28 -0500
From:      Chris Gordon <freebsd@theory14.net>
To:        Denise Schuck <denise.schuck@ges.thm.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Supported Controllers

> On Feb 14, 2018, at 5:25 AM, Denise Schuck <denise.schuck@ges.thm.de> =
wrote:
>=20
> I have a question concerning supported controllers and can't find =
anything about that in the documentation.

Some times searching through the man pages gives you better information.

> The system I want to install the FreeBSD distribution FreeNAS has an =
Adaptec 71605 Controller and an Intel Ethernet Adapter I350-T2.

The aacraid(4) driver lists the Adaptec ASR-70165 as one of the cards it =
supports. The Intel I350 also works (we use those at work, too) and I =
think it=E2=80=99s the ixgbe driver but can=E2=80=99t recall =
specifically.

One of the big advantages of FreeNAS (or FreeBSD) is the ability to use =
ZFS.  This includes the ease of management and the protection of your =
data that it provides.  As a general rule, you want to present ZFS with =
the actual disks and not throw a hardware RAID in between.  Some RAID =
controllers allow you to turn them into individual target mode either =
with a setting in their RAID firmware or by flashing them with new =
firmware.

> (Xeon Processor and 8GB RAM).

The general rule of thumb that ZFS will want 1 GB of RAM for each 1 TB =
of disk.  The impact of having less RAM is that some of the cache=E2=80=99=
s (ARC I believe) will not be as big as they could be and you won=E2=80=99=
t get as good a read performance as you could.  If your system isn=E2=80=99=
t very busy, especially with reads, then this won=E2=80=99t matter.  I =
have a system that doesn=E2=80=99t meat the 1:1 ratio and it works =
perfectly fine.

> Therefore, will it be impossible to install FreeNAS on my hardware? Or =
is it just a matter of released FreeBSD Versions or hardware drivers I =
have to install additionally?

In summary, everything you have should work out of the box.=20

Chris=