Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:39:56 -0600
From:      Robert Gray <bob@boulderlabs.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange things going on with 4.8

I'd like to emphasize that memtest86 doesn't catch lots of
memory problems.  Just last week I was having trouble compiling
mozilla so I ran memtest86 over night.  Nothing showed up.
But, "make buildworld" repeatedly failed on
compiler signal 11 errors at about 20% complete.
Using  "make buildworld", I was able to isolate a
bad DIMM and now "make buildworld" and
building mozilla run to completion (multiple times).

Whenever possible, I run with parity/ECC on the motherboard
and the memory modules.

I'm hoping a hardware/memory/motherboard expert will chime in.
How can manufacturers continue to make PCs without memory
checking?  With today's standards of 128-256MB in a PC, isn't
it just a matter of time until a bit gets flipped the wrong way?
Are manufacturers hoping that the bad bit will go unnoticed
in multi-media?  Is there something in today's
non-parity memory modules that helps insure reliable data?
Until I hear otherwise, I'll continue to spend extra
for the redundant, error-checking memories.

Thanks
-robert gray

Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:31:57 PDT says: