Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:14:38 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Shawn Workman <shawn@bsdguy.com>
Cc:        Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>, Dominik Brettnacher <domi@saargate.de>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP Accounting

Shawn Workman wrote:

> I always see that my NIC is in promiscuous mode, is that a bad thing?
>
> how do I change it if it is?

By default it should not be in promiscuous mode unless your running something
like traffhow, or tcpdump (or, I believe DHCP?) etc. (all of which AFAIK use
the bpf device).

Does your Kernel have the bpf device in it? - i.e. in it's config file? - How
do you know the card is in promiscuous mode?

Promiscuous mode means your network card will receive and process every packet
on the network cable your on, even those not destined for your own machine /
self.

It's sometimes used by hackers to 'sniff' networks for passwords, un-encrypted
telnet sessions etc. [Or just to watch the traffic go by... :)]

As to how to change it? - First find out why it's in promisc. mode if it is...
You can't go and compile out the bpf devices in the kernel, if something your
using actually needs them?! :-)

-Kp