Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 13:12:22 EDT
From:      "gerald stoller" <gerald_stoller@hotmail.com>
To:        dnelson@emsphone.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Passing values between shell-variables

Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>  resonded on
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 17:42:37 -0500    with
>In the last episode (Jun 22), gerald stoller said:
> >      I want to take an integer value from one shell-variable and pass
> > a modified value to another shell-variable.  First I tried setint_v
> > (after using local to get tbl structures for the two shell-variables)
> > and second I tried various forms of the var.c functions intval &
> > setint .  To see if things worked, I print the shell-variable (to
> > which I assigned a value) afterwards, but neither path seems to have
> > succeeded.  I may try getint next, and also make my tests more basic,
> > but if anyone could give me a good hint, I'd appreciate it.
> >     One thing that puzzles me is can be illustrated by the following
>code:
> >           struct  tbl  *var1 ;
> >           int   val1  ;
> >
> >           var1 = local( "LINENO" , FALSE )  ;
> >           getint( var1 , &val1 )  ;
> >           printf( "%d  %d\n"  ,  var1->val.i  ,  val1  )  ;
> > which gives differing values in the two fields (the  val1  value appears
> > be correct).  Isn't  val.i  (from struct  tbl ) where the integer (or is
>it
> > floating point?, but it is declared  long ) is stored?
> >      Please send a response directly to me, my bulk-mail folder is
> > over-stuffed.
>
>I'm not sure what local() and getint() are, since you didn't include
>the source to them, but you should probably be using the getenv() and
>putenv() functions to read environment variables.
>
>--
>	Dan Nelson
>	dnelson@emsphone.com

     Sorry for leaving out info;  local() and getint() are functions in the
file  var.c  of  pdksh  as is  setint_v() , which I also tried.  I am using
version  3.3 .  struct  tbl  is a structure defined in the file  table.h  of
  pdksh .  Probably soon I will upgrade to version  4.1  or so.  I want to
be able to work with general variables, not only environment variables, so I
don't feel that  getenv()  &  putenv()  are the way to go.