Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:05:25 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Multihead XFree86

Hello. XFree86 4.0.x is... buggy... with my i810. 4.0.2 starts up fine,
but after switching consoles, and going back, the video is garbled and I
must reboot to fix it. I still have keyboard functionality, since
ctrl+alt+del does what it is supposed to, but the video is gone.

4.0.1 is just crashy, and while I was on an xterm-opening craze to see
if I really had more than 31 ptys, I got it to garble my video and
reboot itself uncleanly.

I want to go back to 3.3.6, but I need help with dual head. I think
XFree86 3.3.6 supports the i810, even in FreeBSD. In addition to the
i810, I have an ATI Xpert 98, which is a Mach64, definitely supported in
3.3.6.

Does anybody know how to configure multihead systems with xfree86 3.3.6?
Can I still use the screen/server configuration and the "Rightof",
"Leftof", et al., or any other method of making two screens behave as
one?

Xinerama isn't a concern, since my window manager of choice does not
support it.
--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx