Date:      Fri, 09 May 1997 07:09:48 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>, Satoshi Asami <asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: a new ports categorie for kdm ?

Andreas Klemm writes:

>I have a port ready for commit as well...
>
>-rw-------  1 andreas  wiz  188416 May  9 08:23 kfm.core
>-rw-------  1 andreas  wiz  204800 May  9 08:23 kpanel.core
>-rw-------  1 andreas  wiz  188416 May  9 08:23 kwm.core
>
>But unfortunately the programs are dumping core like hell :-/

I don't think I got kwm to core, but I didn't give it too
much of a chance after the rest did :(

>> 1 -- kde-support libraries, libjpeg, and libgif.  we already have
>>      libjpeg, I made a port of the original libgif that I can commit.
>>      this one won't be necessary.
>
>If you place kde in a place like /usr/local/kde, then gnu
>configure doesn't find those libs anymore. Therefore I had to
>use the kde support package.

Well, I patched the hell out of configure to find 'em.  I already
had to patch it to find libqt.

>If you don't choose a prefix /usr/local/kde, then kde will create
>several additional subdirs in /usr/local, that make your /usr/local
>directory look very ugly.
>
>> So I started on three ports, graphics/libgif, x11/kde-libs
>> x11/kde-clients.
>
>With what results ? Didn't you try the port ?

Yea, 'bout the same as you.  It's a really good core generator.
I had the libraries all packaged up pretty well, but the acid
test failed.  I ran out of time trying to figure out the core's
it could be buggy programs, or buggy libraries, or both... :(
I think the terminal emulator and the wm were amongst the few
that didn't dump.

>xinitrc:
>[...]
>/usr/local/kde/bin/kwm &
>/usr/local/kde/bin/kfm &
>/usr/local/kde/bin/kpanel

Actually I fired up an XNest and ran everything in it, manually.  Sometimes
that kind of bastardized installation will cause core's too.

>I'll attach my work ... Maybe you can compare / test what I have
>done on a different system that FreeBSD-current ...

Ok, I'm smp-current here ;-)

>Maybe you can send me your's, then I'll have a look, if it works
>better.

Ok, I'll send it separately.

>	Andreas ///
>
>--
>Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
>                    Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD
>                       http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html
>                          http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/benches.html

eric.