Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2005 16:44:00 -0800
From:      Matt Olander <matt@offmyserver.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3 MySQL Performance

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 07:58:56PM -0500, Alec Berryman wrote:
> > Also, does anybody have any FreeBSD 5.3/MySQL benchmarks? I searched
> > the mailing lists but didn't turn up anything.
>
> There was an article posted to Newsforge today about benchmarking
> MySQL on different operating systems.

oh! thanks...but according to this article, Linux outperformed FreeBSD
in every metric shown :-(

is that accurate?

> > The customer is looking for some kind of validation that he'll be
> > safe running his database on FreeBSD.
>
> I don't usually look at benchmarks when wondering if my databases are
> 'safe'.

Perhaps you misunderstood or I fired that email off to quickly. In
addition to benchmarks, he's also looking for anything to show that
he won't be a pioneer in using large MySQL databases on FreeBSD.

In other words, I'd love to point this customer to FreeBSD if it makes
sense for them. any help appreciated!

thanks!
-matt

--