Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 12:04:58 -0700
From:      "Mark Symonds" <mark@symonds.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NIS client not verifying users

Hello,

I am trying to get FreeBSD to work as an NIS client with the
master server being a Linux box.  I am able to get this much
working on the FreeBSD box:

bash-2.02$ ypmatch michael passwd
michael:DESencryptedpassword:1019:1019:Michael Jackson,,,:
/home/michael:/bin/bash
bash-2.02$

OK, it's getting the info, right?  So I attempt to login
to the FreeBSD machine from the Linux box and get "login
incorrect" after typing in the password.

Here is what ypserv -d says about it on FreeBSD:

ypserv: client is referencing map "passwd.byname".
ypserv: looking up key [michael]
ypserv: result of lookup: key: [michael] data:
[michael:DESencryptedpassword:
1019:1019:Michael Jackson,,,:/home/michael:/bin/bash]

..but yet it does not authenticate.

I have added +::::::::: to the bottom of the passwd
database with vipw.  One thought:  Linux has only
six colon-seperated fields in the passwd file, whereas
FreeBSD has 9.  Does this mean that Linux and FreeBSD
are incompatible as far as NIS?

Any suggestions/advice/flames whatever greatly appreciated.

--
Mark

---
When a man calls an animal "vicious", he usually means that it
will attempt to defend itself when he tries to kill it.
---