Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:24:42 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 10:09:30AM +1000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>The problem is not that "csh" scripts from other systems won't run
>on "tcsh", the problem is that if someone naievely writes code
>thinking that the result will then run on some other box, when in
>fact it will not, because that boxes "csh" has not be replaced
>with "tcsh".

Leaving aside the issue of the sanity of anyone who writes csh
scripts...  Exactly the same arguments could be made about our C
compiler (which supports a number of extensions to ANSI C), our awk
(which supports extensions to the language defined in the AWK book),
our troff (which includes extensions to ditroff), our tar, our dd,
and presumably many others.

The obvious solution is to have a 'csh-compatibility' mode (I don't
know if tcsh has one or not).

Peter