Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 02:17:19 -0500
From:      Lanny Baron <beef@cybertouch.org>
To:        grog@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   re:Greg Lehey's Essay: Who's in control?

The essay Greg wrote can be found on
http://www.lemis.com/x/unix-way-2.html

        Hello Greg,

    Well I have some comments about your Feedback Page.  One thing that
hit me fast and hard was a fact you stated. That is, alot of people
drive, most however are not racing car drivers. If we take that to the
world of computers, then the same rule applies. I enjoy driving my car.
The limit on the highway is 100kph and I do 180kph. What does that mean
(besides breaking the law)? I like things fast, easy and fun. Not to
mention challenging.  In the computer world, there are many times (due
to my so-badly-wanting-to-know-all  about the workings of FreeBSD) that
I like the challenge. But then there is the side of me that likes to
have "fun". Use the computer for ease of work.

    Now lets take this example with your experience with Excel or Word.
Both those programs can be extremely hard to use. But then, the
IMPORTANT part is there. The GUI. The eye candy that made billy boy the
richest kid on the block. That one thing..the GUI...is what is in
control. It's in control because the media has dictated it.   The fact
that you had or desired to learn Emacs or Xemacs is the same to a great
extent as one who wants to learn to use Excel, Word, Access...there may
be a lot of point and click, but you MUST know what you are doing to
produce intelligible work. Not to mention useable work.

    I will return to the above in a minuet or two.

    With respect to a program like IBM's voice. I found it useless.
(anyone out there want to teach me how to use it..it cant spell too
good)  That is like the now available (so i am told) coffee machine in
which you say "coffee" and it begins to brew. Well are we now talking
that we may as well loose the use of our hands, arms and legs? I rather
doubt it.  And yes there are many dead heads that like coming home from
a hard day at the factory, beat the wife and kids, get drunk and go on
their favorite news group (alt.binaries.sex..blah) and do intelligent
work..maybe they are studying gynecology. Those users would think ls -a
= lick, suck -all over.  So to those that want to constantly run their
cars on cruise control ....need not apply.

    On or back to the real problem.  As Greg knows, I recently
discovered in a discussion with Greg that there is a program or suite of
programs which can turn a FreeBSD machine, into a move over NT and
Novell,  THE MACHINE IS HERE.  I am 100% sure that there are even more
programs like that in nature that make Unix OS's untouchable by the boys
at Micro$oft.  The problem as I see it and have stated it, is not that
Emacs may be too difficult to learn to use. ( I don't know any Unix
program that is like Excell..that means I..not that it doesnt exist) Or
that creating spread sheets is undoable. The one single problem is ...
MARKETING.   I wonder if anyone out there in the FreeBSD community has
undertaken to find out what makes a person buy a system like NT. Lets
face it. The costs for a 15 user Novell system with Group Wise ..no
hardware..is between $12,000.00 and $15,000.00.  That is for licenses,
software and installation. I am trying to get into this market and can
charge a ton less. But then that's NOT the point either. It goes back to
the same argument. The control Greg speaks of. It's the marketing, which
lead to the final purchase, training and all the other goodies that come
with those systems. Including the wad of cash you must be prepared to
fork out.

        My proof of what I have said came to me yesterday. My future
brother in law, who works for a fair size network company came to my
condo. Only a month ago when on a friday night dinner at my g/f's (we
..all 40 of us..every friday) parents apt. were again talking about
systems. He claims (now its claimed :-) that i was using the cart and
horse..while the rest of the world was into the modern technology
brought by Novell and then Micro$oft. (He did point out that NT is pure
shit by the way) When I wanted to show him the Gui part of FreeBSD he
simply said "that's nice..Unix is starting to get closer...he said
"where is the file server" I thought he mean an ftp site like
ftp.freebsd.org. Boy was I wrong. So after explaing to me what a file
server does. I told him I would find out and after speaking to our
MENTOR Greg Lehey, I was pointed in the right direction. So ...back to
yesterday. He came over. I sat him down on my windoze box. (sorry to
insult any of you) He logged in the windoze box with his username
password and domain.  Bing...up comes a box on the top left saying
logging in to Windows NT.  But wait..I don't have windoze NT. He went to
network neiborhood and say all my pcs. Just like on a Nt or Novell
Network. I then let him see with a multi PC controller that in fact
there was NO  wintoes NT or Novell. But there was FreeBSD (freedom and
freedom2 wired and mrsmith)  I told him to do a find (not find / -name)
in wintows for winword.exe and a find for winamp.exe on my local drives.
There was none to be found.  So he knew that I did not have those
binaries on my pc's. I told him to click on the top on the Icon for
Word. He did. He opened a document from My Documents (of course, sitting
on  a FreeBSD box). He looked at me like ....lanny WTF???  He then ran
to my sons room and logged in on mrsmsith with a different username and
password. Did the same thing and when he opened the same document he saw
that a box came up telling him the file was already opened. And that he
could have a copy.   He exclaimed...Lanny last month you did not know
what a file server was and now you have a full blown file server and
network. I said "if you say so...thats why I called you here."  He said
this was incredible.

    Now skipping a pile of stuff. The downside. He said that if he were
to walk into a client and tell them about FreeBSD or my own...Freedom
Networks..the persons who decide on buying from him would more than
likely NOT pick FreeBSD. Why? He said because no one knows what or who
FreeBSD is.   Again, that comes down to the control. The controlling
factor here is not the learning curve. For as many of you know, there
are tons of schools offering (for a handsome fee) on how to use Excel,
C, Word and so on. But I know of none to teach Emacs, SS or SC what ever
you called that spread sheet. Not to mention a school for DNS, Apache,
and so on. But then, schools want students. Students want jobs, and many
jobs want you to know ms or novell products.

        In essence what I am saying is, that yes, an air head will
continue a life of air headiness. And people who are serious in there
jobs will work hard at it. But at the same time, those users like ease
of use. At least in there  minds those menu after menu is easier than
doing /usr/local/sbin/dhcpc -interface de0 (and possibly an ton of flags
that i don't know)  Where as if the person knows they need dhcpc and
then the menu's pop up for the flags and the device to apply them
too...then you are in the same light as that to which they are now
accustomed to and like.

    And more times than not, the user who is pretty good will find out
they can do the same on a command line much quicker than by a menu
driven system.

    Don't take this as a blow to FreeBSD. Rather as an imput to where I
think FreeBSD should try to put some attention to. And of course, a
great deal of attention to marketing.

Regards....
Lanny Baron