Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:46:42 +0100
From:      Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@wolfpond.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cross compiling for i386

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 02:11:55PM +0000, David Taylor wrote:
> I also have an i386 workstation, which is significantly slower at building
> world.  I tried to cross-build the world on the amd64 box, then install it
> over an NFS mount.  Eventually, I managed to persuade it to build and
> install, but it's not really a process I'd like to repeat every time I
> update...

[...]

I succeeded in running a 32-bit world built on an amd64 machine with
5.2.1-RELEASE.
I used make installworld TARGET_ARCH=i386 DESTDIR=/blah on the amd64 host,
which was much easier than what you did.

The only issue at the time was with binutils. See this url for details:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-amd64/2004-March/000850.html

> The only problem I had with the resulting world was the installed locales
> in /usr/share/locale/ were invalid (32 vs 64 bit field somewhere?), and
> fortune coredumped when ran.  That was fixed easily enough by recompiling
> libc and fortune on the i386 box.

I used the binaries in an embedded system, so I had no trouble with these.

--
Francois Tigeot