Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 2002 19:40:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael Richards" <michael@fastmail.ca>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall alpha problems...

--------------Boundary-00=_C7BX6RB00M3NTT4D7TH0

> 1st thing:
> 	Make sure you have removed the NO_GEOM option from your
> 	kernel config, sysinstall/libdisk only works with GEOM
> 	kernels.

This was the problem. I think sysinstall should have a graceful way
to detect this and return a complaint to the user rather than return
a corefile.

Now, more bugs...
Maybe sysinstall has changed, but I can't seem to find any way to
partition these drives. One was previously partitioned on an i386 box
so I've at least been able to fool with it.

1) With try creating a filesystem C, for the size enter 1M. The error
says "The minimum filesystem size is 1MB)

2) If you hit "A" for auto defaults all it will create the following
for me:
da2a      /             128MB UFS   Y
da2b      swap          507MB SWAP
da2d      /var          256MB UFS+S Y
da2e      /tmp          256MB UFS+S Y
da2f      /usr         7535MB UFS+S Y

Recreating them manually works if and only if the mount points are
copied. That is to say, if I'm trying to make a copy from a live
system, I can't create a da2a by specifying the mount point
as /mnt/temproot in order to copy the files from it.

I think this is more of an oversight than a bug since it chooses the
device name based on the mount point.

3) once I've finally specified my filesystem. In this case it's:
da2d      /dr/dr02     8683MB UFS+S Y
I hit "W" and it flashes some errors up on the screen and pops an
error dialog box saying: ERROR: Unable to write data to disk da2!

After that you can't touch the disk because it complains it was
already written. The only way is of you exit sysinstall. I think that
little flag in the software should only get set if it was written
successfully.

As for why it's not writing, I don't know. I tried finding MAKEDEV
and running it on da2.
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,   2 Nov  1 17:54 /dev/da2
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  14 Nov  1 17:54 /dev/da2b
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  15 Nov  1 17:54 /dev/da2c
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  16 Nov  1 17:54 /dev/da2e
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  17 Nov  1 17:54 /dev/da2f
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  18 Nov  1 17:54 /dev/da2g

So the devices exist.
I think the 2 disks are set up properly but I'll have to watch it
boot just to make 100% sure they didn't end up on the same ID.
da1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da1: <SEAGATE ST39103LW 0002> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da1: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit), Tagged
Queueing Enabled
da1: 8683MB (17783240 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 1106C)
da2 at ahc0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
da2: <SEAGATE ST39103LW 0002> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da2: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit), Tagged
Queueing Enabled
da2: 8683MB (17783240 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 1106C)

That's all I can come up with so far. My apologies if I'm not doing
anything right... After all it's Friday and I should be off drinking
beer.

-Michael