Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2012 22:51:44 +0800
From:      Doug Brewer <brewer.doug@gmail.com>
To:        Chuck Burns <break19@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [head tinderbox] failure on arm/arm

Chuck Burns wrote:
On 11/9/2012 4:16 PM, Brett wrote:
> >> Message: 11
> >> Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 23:34:58 +0800
> >> From: Doug Brewer <brewer.doug@gmail.com>
> >> To: Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
> >> Cc: arm@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Tinderbox <tinderbox@freebsd.org>,
> >> 	current@freebsd.org
> >> Subject: Re: [head tinderbox] failure on arm/arm
> >>
> >> No offence, but how many times did you break the build? Could you plea=
se
> >> compile your code before committing next time? Thanks a lot!
> >>

> > Just an observation: a few years ago when I got sick of Linux's "headlo=
ng rush" development model, I subscribed to various BSD mailing lists to se=
e what else was out there. I considered FreeBSD at the time - there was a n=
everending avalanche of "[head tinderbox] failure" messages. This told me t=
hat I would be more likely to be running code written by people who knew wh=
at they were doing if I went with Open, Net, or DragonflyBSD.

> > I safely run OpenBSD-current on my main computer and it always works (I=
 think I have had 2-3 build problems in about 3 years, and they were all my=
 fault). At the moment, I only feel confident enough with FreeBSD-current t=
o run it on my unimportant torrent computer. This is 80% due to constant bu=
ild failures, and 20% due to invasive changes being introduced with documen=
tation/instructions scattered over many different pages and mailing lists, =
e.g:

> > http://wiki.freebsd.org/FrontPage?action=3Dfullsearch&context=3D180&val=
ue=3Dxorg&titlesearch=3DTitles

> > http://wiki.freebsd.org/FrontPage?action=3Dfullsearch&context=3D180&val=
ue=3Dpkgng&titlesearch=3DTitles

> > Hypothetical user: "Is it WITHOUT_PKGNG=3D or WITHOUT_PKGNG=3Dyes or WI=
TH_PKGNG=3Dno today?"

> > I wonder how many other people that you never hear from feel the same, =
and if some sort of "x weeks commit freezeout" should apply to the build br=
eakers. Cute pointy hats or whatever obviously have no effect.