Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 22:41:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: minor heads up - /etc/make.conf{,.local} being moved

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Doug Barton wrote:

>>     I think it is necessary to make it exit for now, because what we are
>>     really doing is a net-0 gain in files... turning what used to be
>>     functionality in /etc/make.conf.local into /etc/make.conf.  The intent is
>>     not to add a third file.  If the intent were to add a third configuration
>>     file then, sure, we could allow all three.  But that isn't my intent.
>
>	Ok, well put me on record as wanting three files. While I still have

I am not for proliferation of config files. rc.conf and rc.conf.local
should have been handled the same way AFAIC.

Put me down as wanting two files. An extra file is just more shtuff to
keep track of. I too am iffy on /etc/defaults. If the purpose of defaults
is to keep "standard" things in isolation then lets do that. Begrudgingly,
defaults do clean up /etc a bit. It makes mergemastering easier too. The
defaults will be better when they become more complete.

>some reservations about the whole /etc/defaults thing, I believe that if
>we are going to use it we should use it to full advantage, offering
>people more functionality, not less. Unless I am missing something, the

The number of files relating to make would still be two. The purpose of
each of those files is the same. The new functionality is precisely equal
to the previous functionality.

Thank You, 	| http://students.washington.edu/jcwells/
Jason Wells