Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:56:07 -0500
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crafty upgrade from 19.1 -> 19.9

Thomas,

> Crafty in ports is still at version 19.1, but the source is already up to
> 19.9 with significant enhancements.  What would it take to get the port
> upgraded to version 19.9?

Someone, such as yourself, to update the port and send a PR.

The way I have done it for simple ports, which I suspect many or most others also do, is something like...

# cd /usr/ports/games/crafty
# make clean   # Remove build debris
# cd ..
# tar -cf crafty.tar crafty
# mv crafty crafty-19.1
# tar -xvf crafty.tar
# cd crafty
# vi Makefile  # Update versions and other relevant details
# make fetch   # Get distfile(s)
# make makesum # Update distinfo with new MD5 checksums

Check the patches in files/ to see if you think they're still likely to be
needed. Leave if uncertain. Check pkg-descr and any pkg-message files for
sanity and correctness.

# make extract # Unnecessary, but worth testing
# make patch   # Fix/remove patches as appropriate. make clean and repeat.
# make         # Fix any build issues. make clean and repeat.

Once you've got the new version building cleanly...

# sudo pkgrm crafty-19.1
# portlint -a -c  # Check the port for correctness (devel/portlint)
# sudo make install

Make sure it runs properly.

# pkg_delete crafty-19.9

Make sure it is removed cleanly. Check pkg-plist if not.

# make clean
# cd ..
# diff -ruN crafty-19.1 crafty  # Make the patch to send in the PR
# send-pr
..or..
# gtk-send-pr
# mv crafty crafty-19.9  # Protection against the next cvsup

I think that's about it, apart from the feedback, fixes, pleading on the
list(s) and bribing committers.

In case of porting questions, RTFM[1], STFW and see the ten thousand or so
examples right next to you for hints.

Eternal fame and glory (or possibly flame and gory) await!

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/index.html

-Andrew-
| -Andrew J. Caines-   Unix Systems Engineer   A.J.Caines@halplant.com  |
| "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary |
|  safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin, 1759 |