Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 21:56:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      tom@tomqnx.com (Tom Torrance at home)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Missing files/directories

On the weekend I reported to hackers about problems experienced with
2.2-stable and RELENG-3 systems where I experienced files that
disappeared from cache and Mail directories that disappeared.
The RELENG-3 system had files affected with softupdates enabled.
The 2.2-stable system had sub-directories missing from the
same directories that I was writing to via nfsv2.

By coincidence, I had cvsup'd and compiled new kernels and naturally
made the assumption that there was causality there. Subsequently
I have come to believe that the problem may have more to do with what
I was doing, not changes to the code.

For about 3-4 hours prior to noticing the problems, I had been
repetitively editing dot files, then writing a kludge of dot files
to the local system hard drive and to the nfs exported FS of the
other computer, while occasionally checking mail on that computer.

All files and directories missing were being updated for
one reason or another by myself or by mail processes while
I was doing this.

It is speculation, but there is a good chance that there is a bug
in the cache-handling code that causes problems with other files
or directories being dropped from cache because of bad processing
common to BOTH or ALL releases, when large numbers of dot files are
being written. The dot files themselves did not disappear - other
items to be written disappeared before their writes actually
occurred.

I know that this is a frustrating kind of message to receive, but
I am not a developer & not qualified to go into the code myself.
Also no logs or hard output are available - files/directories
simply disappeared without any error messages.

I just did a scan of the entire /usr/src/sys tree for \"\\.\"
and \'\\.\' to see what code sections might be affected - mostly
cache-handling. In quantity, not bad, really.

Others have apparently reported missing files to do with nfs
I believe. THis might or might not be a related problem.

I guess that I am asking someone who is qualified, and concerned
about missing files or directories, if they would be willing
to do what I cannot - check the code for bad interactions when
dot files are being written- bearing in mind that it is OTHER
files/directories that are disappearing from cache before being
written.

Is anyone out there sufficiently intrigued by the possibility
to invest some valuable time?

I am a QA tester, not a developer, and therefore much more
comfortable with discussion of symptoms and speculative
causality than most developers I have known. I hope that
someone thinks enough of the possibility to invest some
time, which I know is in very short supply. I cannot deny
that this is (informed) speculation - there are no guarantees.

Regards and best wishes,
Tom