Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 1998 02:35:53 -0800
From:      brian@worldcontrol.com
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rvplayer runs ok under root but sound is a mess

On %M %N, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com> wrote:
> Now back to your problem , you may want to put a printf in the
> linux emulation layer on the GETOPTR ioctl and examine what value
> is it returning.

What about 8 vs. 16 bits.  I noticed in rvplayer.ad the following
comments:

! ============================================================
! Preference Dialog Advanced Tab Resources
! ============================================================
*PrefDlgAdvancedTab.label:    Advanced
*PrefAdvancedGroup.label:     Sound Card Compatibility
*PrefAdvancedExpl.string:    These settings help you troubleshoot sound card related problems.  They may increase processor usage.
*PrefAdvanced16Expl.string: Use this setting if you have an older sound card and
 clips sound scratchy or distorted.
*PrefAdvancedDis16Chk.label:  Disable 16-bit sound (use 8-bit only)

However there is no indication of what to change them to or how to
manipulate them.

I addressed your VideoCD question in another email.
--
brian