Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:45:31 -0500
From:      Tim Buck <tbuck@rrinc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "Persistent" kernel module?

Is there a way to make a kernel module "persistent" between kernel
builds? I'm using a HighPoint SATA RAID controller on FreeBSD 5.3.
HighPoint provides a driver for this controller in the form of a
kernel module (hpt374.ko). Their instructions say to put the module
in /boot/kernel, and add 'hpt374_load="YES"' to the file
/boot/defaults/loader.conf.

This works, but when I build a new kernel the /boot/kernel dir gets
renamed and recreated, and the hpt374.ko module doesn't get copied
to the new dir. I have to copy it manually each time I build the
kernel.

So is there a way to make the kernel build process know about third
party kernel modules and copy it over to the new /boot/kernel
automatically?

Tim Buck * Information Technology Manager * Recognition Research, Inc.
PHONE +1 540 961-6500 * FAX +1 540 961-3568 * EMAIL tbuck@rrinc.com
No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the
American People -- P. T. Barnum