Date:      Sun, 11 May 1997 09:39:58 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, announce@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A 3.0-current SNAP building machine has been found!

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> ACC TelEnterprises & James FitzGibbon have stepped forward and
> created, how shall I put it, a very *attractively* configured and
> connected machine for this purpose, complete with administrative
> support.
>
> Therefore, once I have it set up to start building SNAPs, I'll start
> up the cron job and have David G. point "current.freebsd.org" at this
> machine so that it people can ftp the latest 3.0-SNAPs from it in the
> same way they currently have releng22.freebsd.org for the RELENG_2_2
> (2.2-stable) branch.
>
> Of course, this raises an interesting question: Now that it's truly
> possible to get daily releases from the 3.0 & 2.2 bits (and, if
> someone else is still up to volunteer a box, I guess we could also
> create a releng210.freebsd.org for the 2.1-stable branch?) - what
> differentiates a "good" one from a bad one?  Which ones should we copy
> over to ftp.freebsd.org, periodically?
>
> I suppose that Terry will now suggest some sort of voting system and I
> can't even say that it's such a bad idea (just so long as I don't have
> to write the vote collection and tabulation software :-).

At Micro$oft, we used the daily build system for everything.  If you
weren't working on it though, you didn't just install a random build of
Win95.  There were usually a few 'known good builds' which were worth
installing.  Not sure how you can figure out automatically what a 'good
build' is though.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com