Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2012 19:10:30 +0400
From:      Alexandr Matveev <timon@timon.net.nz>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Assign a large number of IPv6 addresses

Hello.

   I have a IPv6 subnet and I have a number of servers, that act like a
accelerator with nginx. Those are behind load-balancers.
I give each website a unique combination of IP addresses from a pool (so
each website has a different set of four IP addresses).
I need to assign those IP addresses to accelerators, so they accept the
packets that comes from the balancers. I need to assign
all of addresses (500,000 IPs) from IPv6 subnet to a single FreeBSD
interface. If I do that, FreeBSD hangs. Right now this is working with
IPv4 addresses, but there are only 100 of them. Since IPv6 networks are
bigger - more addresses can be added to unique combination.
On Linux I can mark this network as 'local', so it accepts all packets
that come to those addresses. Can I do this on FreeBSD and how?

   This is the linux command I use:
ip -6 route add local 2a00:15f8:f000::/64 dev eth0

--
Alexandr Matveev