Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 21:42:40 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@dk.tfs.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        ache@nagual.ru, current@freebsd.org, dyson@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recent vfork kernel changes broke csh & tcsh!

In message <199704221843.EAA29497@godzilla.zeta.org.au>, Bruce Evans writes:
>The procfs_mem.c fix fixed the hangs on thrd_s.
>
>>Yes, it may be csh & tcsh common bug, but I can't find what clobbers
>>exactly. It finally hits process list in both csh & tcsh, but preserving
>>process list not helps.
>
>I think our non-simple malloc() behaviour triggers broken csh behaviour.

Another one bites the dust ?  :-)

>csh frees things in the parent that are allocated (only) in the child,
>but this is not guaranteed to reset the malloc state.

Uhm, either they have shared addres room, in which case it is consistent,
or they don't, in which case it doesn't matter...  There is a reentrancy
filter on malloc now that would detect such trouble.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.