Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 19:19:58 -0400
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        jim@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: realplayer and freebsd?

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 04:04:48PM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> =On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 at 14:02:07 +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
>
> => RealPlayer  7  (for  Linux)  works.  I installed  it  from  the  file
> => rp7_redhat6.bin  and RP  works  standalone, but  the Netscape  plugin
> => doesn't  (it  fires  up  the  standalone  player).  Someone  told  me
> => that  installing  from  rp7_linux20_libc6_i386_b2.bin works  both  as
> => standalone *and* as a plugin, but I haven't tried it yet.
> =>
> => You should be able to get them from http://www.real.com/
>
> =There's also a port of realplayer 7.. /usr/ports/audio/linux-realplayer
> =:-)
>
> BTW,  the  port  is  rather  raw  --  it  leaves  the  obvious  task  of
> putting   two  binaries,   mime   types  and   mail   caps  files   into
> ${PREFIX}/lib/netscape-linux/  to   the   user,  while   following   the
> RealPlayer's  braindamage of  encouraging the  user to  store everything
> under his/her own ~/.netscape.
For such playings with RealPlayer required dependencies from Linux Netscape.
And, unfortunatly, I don't have success to manage to work RealPlayer7 as
plugin from Linux Netscape - RealPlayer plugin starts but nothing more
happened.

--
Vladimir

P.S. I glad to accept any patches to RealPlayer port which could registr
mimetypes and mail caps for Linux Netscape. Hint: for that just enough
to start mimeinstall.sh from the RealPlayer with second arg 'global'. The
problem is how to remove that info after deinstalation ;(.