Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2003 19:05:43 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> What I can say is that yes, I too have experienced
> dillon the way you describe him, friendly, helpful and effective.
> Unfortunately, he's not always like that.

So the issue is, (a) Matt's work, and his presence on mailing lists,
is very valuable (according to us users); (b) his attitude with other
developers is not helpful (according to developers).

Linux has faced far worse problems, with (apparently) much more
prickly developers, and still worked things out.  See, eg, these
two related articles --
http://lwn.net/Articles/8093/
http://lwn.net/Articles/8123/

Surely some such thing can be worked out with Matt too, if he's
amenable -- have him continue to contribute, both to the code and to
the mailing lists (I assume he's not banned from there), but filter
his commits through someone else who gets along with him (surely there
must be someone who does)?  It would be a pity to lose his presence
totally.

- Rahul