Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 1999 22:48:38 -0500
From:      Len Huppe <huppe@execpc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   nmbd won't run

I can't figure out how to get Samba running on my 3.2 system.  I
installed Samba 2.0.3 during the initial installation with no problems.
I can use smbclient to attach to a share that I created, so I have
reason to believe that smbd is running OK.

If I go to a command line and try to launch it there, I get no response
from it.  There are no error messages or anything at all.  The command
that I'm using is nmbd -D.  I also tried using swat but it keeps telling
me that nmbd is not running.

I even went as far as to remove the Samba package with sysinstall, and
then reinstall it from the source tarball.  I have five years experience
with Linux, and I have installed a pretty good number of tarballs during
that time.  I'm sure that I did it right.

I'm know that there's a perfectly logical reason why this in not
working.  Being new to both FreeBSD and Samba, I don't always know where
to look for possible configuration problems.

Is there anyone that can steer me in the right direction here?  My eyes
are going crossed from reading a ton of documentation that simply says
the same things over and over.  I want to demonstrate a FreeBSD/Samba
server to my manager ASAP.   From what I've seen so far, I like FreeBSD
a lot, and I hope to be able to use it at work.  That won't happen if I
can't get this problem fixed soon.

thanks,
Len Huppe