Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:57:33 -0700
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Mikel King <mikel@ocsny.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: quick question

Mikel King wrote:

> I just got 5.0 61200 snap running on my dell i7500 complete with x4, and
> stuff. I've notice that every once and awhile the screen goes blank if I
> catch it quickly I cna move the mouse and bring it back up, but if it
> sits too long then it's fubar. I know this is probably some osrt of
> power management deffect (er I mean func) but I really would just love
> to disable it.

	I've got the same exact machine running 4-STABLE with X4.  I also
have the same exact problem.  Lately I've take to switching back to
console if I won't be using X for awhile.  This keeps things afloat.
One nice thing about X4 that I was a problem with X3 was suspend.  If
I shut the lid with X4 running it suspends correctly, on X3 it locked
really really bad.

	So if you come up with something that works for you, please let me
know.  I've been playing with different things off and on with no luck
so far.  Actually if either of us find something that works, we should
post it back to the list so that it's in the archives.

> On a side note I do have ALL power mangement disabled in cmos...and I
> made sure that rc.conf doesn't have and screen saver commands...so I am
> wondering where this is coming from and how to turn it off.  Even more
> strange I can sometimes leave the thing on over night and it won't
> happen but if I'm using the thing and wait a few minute like to answer
> say a phone call or run to the mens room after my coffee lease runs
> out...it happens....
>
> ok so you can understand that it's a bit frustrating...so hopefully some
> of you who are far wiser than I will have the answer to this one...

	If I could fix this there's only one other thing that I need X4 to
work with that's currently broken, vmware2.  Then I'd be a very happy
camper indeed.  The only thing left would be sound support, but that's
not critical for getting my work done.

--
Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu