Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 07:13:58 +0100
From:      Simon Dick <simond@irrelevant.org>
To:        Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modifying a port for local use

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 04:34:10PM -0500, Doug Poland wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to modify a port ( squirrelmail-1.2.7 ) for use on my system.  The
> issue is where the port is installed.  The Makefile lets the ports system
> install into /usr/local.  However, I want it installed into /data/www.
>
> After looking at /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.ports.mk it looked as simple as
> redefining PREFIX= in the Makefile.  I also want the the directory created
> to reflect the PORTVERSION.  So I hack the Makefile by adding/modifying:
>
> PREFIX=/data/www
>
> do-install:
>         ${MKDIR} ${PREFIX}/squirrelmail-${PORTVERSION}
>         ${CP} -R ${WRKSRC}/* ${PREFIX}/squirrelmail-${PORTVERSION}
>         ${CHOWN} -R www:www ${PREFIX}/squirrelmail-${PORTVERSION}/data
>
> After I do a make install, the port is installed in the appropriate
> locatation, but in ${PREFIX} are a bunch of new directories {bin,etc,
> include,info,lib,libdata,libexec,man,sbin,share,}.
>
> When I attempt a pkg_delete or make deinstall, I get a bunch of messages
> about files that don't exists.  Examination reveals that the delete process
> is not honoring my squirrelmail-${PORTVERSION} hack.
>
> So, how am I supposed to change a port so it installs and deinstalls outside
> the /usr/local directory structure?

The normal way to do it doesn't even require altering the makefile,
just try this:
cd /usr/ports/mail/squirrelmail
make PREFIX=/data/www
make PREFIX=/data/www install

and that should be recorded into the pkg db once it's installed.
(it works, I create ports using that method so ask more if you still
have problems :)

--
Simon Dick					simond@irrelevant.org