Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:13:25 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Foster, Jim" <JFOSTER@CSKAUTO.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Meta-key and 107-key keyboard

On Thursday, 29 October 1998 at 10:31:44 -0700, Foster, Jim wrote:
> Greg,
>
> I tried your keymap file last night and it would not work for me.  After
> downloading it I tried using
>   kbdcontrol -l /usr/share/syscons/us.emacs.kbd
> and I get the terse error message:
>   Invalid key definition

Well, I tried it and got

kbdcontrol: keymap file not found: No such file or directory

> Boy!, that told me a lot.

Well, it told me that the pathname was wrong.  It should be
/usr/share/syscons/keymaps/us.emacs.kbd.  It's not a problem if you do
it manually, but it is if you want it to happen automatically at
startup.

> Maybe it had to due to the fact that I really have a 107-key
> keyboard instead of the 104 that I originally said.

I don't think that makes any differnce.

> By the way, I am running 2.2.7-R, but recompiled for options that
> natd needs.

Ah, I tried it there and got the same results.  It would be nice if it
told you the line, wouldn't it?

> Any way, I did some more playing around.  I used kbdcontrol to dump out my
> default keymap and edited it.  On a lark I tried changing one of the lalt's
> (scancode 056 on my map) to meta.  I loaded the map and IT WORKED!  Next, I
> went into your us.emacs.kbd file and I could not find the word 'meta'
> anywhere.  What indicates to your system that the alt key is the meta key?

Nothing.  It maps the characters directly if the Alt key is pressed.

> Finally, I noticed that towards the bottom of my keymap file I had three
> lines saying...
>   105	fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62  O
>   106	fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63  O
>   107	fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64  O
> I changed them to...
>   105	'a' fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62  O
>   106	'b' fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63  O
>   107	'c' fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64  O
>
> Sure enough, the left window key printed 'a', the right window key printed
> 'b', and the menu key printed 'c'.
>
> So, I went back in to the file and changed it to...
>   105   meta   meta   meta   meta   meta   meta   meta   meta    O
>   106   meta   meta   meta   meta   meta   meta   meta   meta    O
>   107   fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64  O
> and now my two window keys are my meta keys, freeing up the alt key to be
> what ever it is suppose to be. :-)

Well, it doesn't do very much in text mode.  But I suppose this way it
can continue not doing very much.

> Also, at the VERY bottom of my keymap file I had several records that were
> structured like this...
>   dtil  '~'  ( 'a' 227 ) ( 'A' 195 ) ( 'n' 241 ) ( 'N' 209 )
>              ( 'o' 245 ) ( 'O' 213 )
>
> I can only assume it is used to take two keystrokes and combine it into one
> "international" character.  Being one of those ignorant Americans, I don't
> tend to use many of those, that's why I am guessing ;-)

You could read keyboard(4), but you'd still be guessing.  I suppose I
need to look at this and fix the man page.  Some time.

> So, it seems that I have solved my only problem, but this leaves some
> academic questions unanswered.
> 1. Why didn't your keymap file work on my box?

Looks like it contains new stuff introduced for 3.0.

> 2. What about your keymap file indicates that the alt key is really the meta
> key?

It's the 'alt' column.  It specifies a different code for alt, etc.
For example, here's the 'a' key for us.emacs.kbd:

# scan                       cntrl          alt    alt   cntrl lock
# code  base   shift  cntrl  shift  alt    shift  cntrl  shift state
  030   'a'    'A'    soh    soh    225    193    129    129     C

And here it is in us.iso.kbd:

  030   'a'    'A'    soh    soh    'a'    'A'    soh    soh     C

> 3. And on a slightly different subject, *exactly* how do the letters at the
> end of each line affect the keymap.  All I can find in the docs is that it
> determines how the map is treated with the caps-lock and num-lock on, but it
> does not say HOW to use them.

I'd have to dig too.  Maybe somebody else would like to.

Greg