Date:      12 Apr 1999 01:48:45 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some ideas on the evolution of -CURRENT

Hey gang,

Here are a few ideas I have running around my head about things I'd
love to see happen to -CURRENT:

 - Finish the transition to the new sysctl code. Doug committed the
   "killer patch" on 02/16: sysctls can now be registered and
   unregistered dynamically, which allows KLD modules to decalre
   sysctl variables. Let's get rid of the hardcoded sysctl OIDs
   and declare all sysctl variables with OID_AUTO. I have patches for
   all the _net_inet sysctls (including patches for userland code
   which uses them). This change will be a flag day, since it will
   break binary compatibility with userland code which references
   sysctl variables by numeric ID rather than by name.

 - Revamp the PCI code. Voices in my head tell me Doug has patches
   that allow converting all PCI device drivers to KLD modules. Me
   want!

 - Making more kernel tunables settable by the boot loader. I'd
   *particularly* like to be able to specify the location of init at
   boot time. If somebody can give me a hint on how to do that, I'm
   willing to do the work myself.

 - Kernel threads. 'nuff said.

 - Smaller-grained locks in the SMP code.

 - New rc system (e.g. http://www.freebsd.org/~eivind/newrc.html)

 - Working stacking layers, proper vnode locking, working NULLFS and
   friends (Eivind is working on that, with moral support from yours
   truly)

 - Native DPT support, including the configuration stuff. This
   requires implementing a few compatibility ioctls to get DPT's SCO
   software running on FreeBSD (they were present in the old DPT
   driver, but got nuked on C-day)

 - Fuller-featured sound drivers so we can nuke VoxWare once and for
   all

 - Insert Your Favorite Vapor Feature: ____________________________

DES
--