Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 2015 00:00:33 +0200
From:      Sydney Meyer <meyer.sydney@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPSec Performance under Xen

Hello,

I have set up 2 VM's under Xen running each one IPSec-Endpoint. =
Everything seems to work fine, but (measured with benchmarks/iperf) the =
performance drops from ~10 Gb/s on a non-IPSec-Kernel to ~200 Mb/s with =
IPSec compiled in, regardless of whether actually using IPSec or not.

I have read about reasoning why IPSec isn't enabled in GENERIC, but =
wanted to ask if this is the kind of performance hit one has to expect.

I have observed this on FreeBSD 10.1 and 10 Stable, both AMD64. The =
Hypervisor is running Xen 4.4 with a Linux 3.16 Dom0.=