Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 10:45:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        chuckr@eng.umd.edu, julian@ref.tfs.com, richard@harlequin.co.uk, freebsd-install@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Installation" and "upgrade"

> > Besides having to deal with a boatload of howls from folks who lost their
> > files because they were told they could upgrade without the reinstall,
> > how are you going to troubleshoot future reported problems if you aren't
> > even sure of the underlying FS ?  I don't like this idea ...
>
> The underlying fs hasn't changed - just the disklabels.

There is backward compatability, which is there at what I would call
"great expense" because of the endianness choices being made in favor
of Motorolla byte order.

Specifically, there is now a type hint field in the directory and the
size of the length has been reduced from a short to a char, the other
char being stolen for the hint field.

In the superblock, there are several additional fields that the fsck
does not recognize as being there for backward compatability.  They
store, among other things, the maxsymlinklength.  The existance of
these fields makes old FS's appear "dirty" on each reboot.

Symlinks are allowed to be stored as directory entries rather than
having inodes at all.  There are semantic differences for links in
directories with the sticky bit/SUID/SGID bits set that result from
this.  Specifically, you can create links for which you do not have
priveledges to delete.

There are bits which attribute the file:

	schg	file can not be changed
	uchg	file can not be changed; can be unset by root or owner
	arch	file has been archived (root only)
	dump	file should not be archived
	sappend	file can only be appended to
	uappend	file can only be appened to; can be unset by root or owner

	sappend/schg can only be unset in single user mode.

In addition to these changes, the FS in 386BSD did not support the clean
flag, and the current and immediately previous FS does.

So the FS /has/ changed somewhat.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---