Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:42:50 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        questions <questions@zeus.davez.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading Bind

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 08:53:54PM -0400, questions wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> 	Current O/S version = FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE
> 	Current Bind version = named 8.3.7-REL
>
> 	Does anyone know if upgrading Bind/named 8.3.7 to 9.3 is
> recommended within 4.10-RELEASE? If so can this be accomplished using the
> portupgrade command or should a different method be used like downloading
> bind9.tar.gz file and running make install?

What I did was:

    # cd /usr/ports/dns/bind9
    # make install clean

and updated /etc/rc.conf with

    named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"

worked fine for me. I chose not to overwrite the system's version.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily