Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:07:27 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        dougy@bryden.apana.org.au
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, roelof@nisser.com, gustavo@ifour.com.br, jpaetzel@hutchtel.net
Subject:   Re: firewall stuff

Doug Young wrote:

> > You should've seen the earlier ones! Whoo, wheee!! They actually
> > had you calculating cylinders and sectors. That really took me
> > back. Hadn't done that since 1987 or so. Great!
> >
> Every OpenBSD install I've done gave weird complaints about unallocated
> sectors (immediately after disklabel) whereas the FreeBSD installs have
> invariably been very straightforward. Mind you the OpenBSD man pages
> are a huge improvement on the FreeBSD ones. Dunno what sort of person
> dreamed up their mailing list though .... I don't believe its humanly
> possible
> to create something so disorganized !!!!!!!! Thankfully the FreeBSD archives
> are quite well organized & easily searchable.
>
> > The reason I'd picked OpenBSD was indeed its focus on security. Whether
> > or not that is such a big deal in reality was a moot point. It made
> > for a great marketing USP ;).
> >
> Yeah ... thats what attracted me too, although general feedback on the
> subject
> indicates that its possibly overrated. Its not that my systems hold
> particularly
> valuable data, all I want to achieve is blocking as many evil types as
> possible.

There's a big reason I use OpenBSD over freebsd; one that neither of you
seemed to touch on. Hardware platform support, I run OpenBSD on Apple
Macintosh, Sun Sparc, and HP 9000 boxes. Doing this with FreeBSD just
isn't possible (yet... I know various ports have been started), however
when it comes to the i386 platform I run FreeBSD pretty much
exclusively. Primarily for the reasons indicated in your emails: ease of
use, ports collection, email/list support. Well, that's my two cents.

Nathan Vidican
Nathan@Vidican.com
http://Nathan.Vidican.com/